Friday, March 16, 2012

Fixing Another House Design Mistake!

We started painting our living room the DAY we moved into our house...


It took 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of paint... We could not wait for it to be finished and we loved the color when it was complete!


HOWEVER, it was our first house ever with plaster walls, we didn't realize how much a semi-gloss paint would show all the flaws in the wall. The more time that went by, the more and more it started to bother me! It was so blotchy, and when the sun would shine on it, you could practically see each paint brush stroke.  (It's really hard to catch on camera, but here is the best I could do!)

Last weekend, I'd had ENOUGH! I went to Home Depot and bought the same paint - Martha Stewart's Flagstone - but instead of in a semi-gloss finish I bought it in a flat finish. I sanded some of the really uneven parts of the wall (I'm not sure I've ever been so sore in my life!) and then gave it one quick coat of paint.

The difference? You would not even BELIEVE!! Amazing!

It seriously looks like a new room. The walls look p-r-i-s-t-i-n-e!!


The only problem is that now I want to repaint every other room in this house I painted with this paint... the kitchen, the entry, the stairwell, the upstairs hall, and the master bedroom.... !! Wish me luck :)

4 comments:

  1. GOOD LUCK!!
    Just think of this as a learning curve. We all make them when we become first time homeowners.
    I think your place looks fantastic and I enjoy seeing all the fresh and new ideas you have for your home.
    Now a nice colorful vase of flowers is in need for all your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the exact same problem on my old plaster walls, but I wasn't in love with the color, so it was easy to buy a new (flatter) color right away! Looks great. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I recognized that paint color...I literally just painted my family room this color last week! Blogged about it here: http://mrshahndaydreams.blogspot.com/2012/07/painting-drama.html

    Love the transformation of your house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What you have shared is very valuable and helpful. All the information you have shared gives me more insights on this. Thank you for sharing. Keep it up! Would like to see more updates from you soon.

    Water Blaster

    ReplyDelete

 
01 09 10